H.E. Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem
Chairman of Dubai World
A holding company that manages and supervises a diversified portfolio of businesses and projects in Dubai, Dubai World contributes to the rapid economic growth across the globe through a variety of sectors, including Transport & Logistics, Dry Docks& Maritime, Urban Development and Investment and Financial Services.
The company was launched to continue expanding Dubai’s aggressive growth both domestically and abroad. It is a powerful economic engine with a collection of diverse and successful companies including: DP World, Economic Zones World, Drydocks World, Dubai Maritime City, Limitless, Nakheel, Istithmar, Tejari, and TechnoPark, among others. Dubai World is also a major shareholder in Kerzner, Island Global Yachting, and additional strategic partners, Mr. Bin Sulayem was born
in the UAE in 1955. He is a BS graduate in Economic – Temple University Philadelphia – USA. His educational background, expertise and leadership vision have spearheaded a number of groundbreaking developments and offerings:
• Led DP World to buy the UK’s P&O group for US$6.8 billion in March 2006, making it the largest acquisition in the industry’s history. It propelled DP World to become one of the top three marine terminal operators in the world and built the widest industry network which today spans 42 terminals in 22 countries.
• Developed Jafza (Jebel Ali Free Zone), a remarkable network of nearly 6000 companies from 120 countries, paving the way for industrial development in the Middle East.
• Established Nakheel, a real estate and tourism property development firm, responsible for building the three iconic developments of The Palm, the world’s largest man-made islands being constructed off the coast of Dubai. Heralded as
“the eighth wonder of the world” and visible from the moon, this successful project has attracted international acclaim. It was followed by The World, a prestigious 300 island development shaped to form a map of the globe, and Dubai Waterfront, considered the most ambitious reclamation project in the world comprising over 250 master planned communities, launching recently and meeting with great success.
• Set-up Istithmar (which means Investment), a holding company and major investment house focusing on private equity and real estate, to deliver exceptional returns for shareholders. Istithmar is comprised of a diversified portfolio of investments in consumer, financial services, industrial, tourism and hospitality, and the medical sectors in markets across North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
• Pioneered the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC), establishing a commodity marketplace in Dubai to provide industry-specific market infrastructures and a full range of facilities for the gold and precious metals, diamonds and colored stones, energy and other commodities industries.
• Founded Limitless, an integrated, international real estate developer, aiming to become an international industry leader.
Along with serving as the Chairman of Dubai World, Mr. Bin Sulayem holds other positions that leverage his innovative management skills. He is the Chairman of Tejari, an on-line B2B marketplace enabling buyers and sellers to transact and share information about a variety of goods and services, and the Chairman of the merged Ports, Customs & Free Zone Corporation (PCFC), which manages and regulates all the associated Government issues.
On the international front, Mr. Bin Sulayem also contributes to various educational, humanitarian and related initiatives, and is a member of the World Economic Forum.
Mr. Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem’s positions and awards include:
• Chairman & Head of Board of Directors of Dubai World, Chairman of DP World, Chairman of Ports, Customs & Free Zone Corporation, Nakheel LLC., Dubai Waterfront Company, Tejari, Limitless, Istithmar and Dubai Multi Commodities Centre
• Chairman of the Board of Ports & Free Zones
• Elected as a “Global Leader for tomorrow” by the World Economic Forum
• Named “Chief Executive of the Year 1991” at the Gulf Business Awards
• Awarded “Al Majalla Business Personality of the Year 1992”
• Awarded The Lifetime Achievement Award from Lloyd’s List Middle East and Indian Subcontinent Awards 2006
• Awarded Middle East Logistics’ Hall of Fame Award 2007
• Regular Participant at the World Economic Forum (Davos – Switzerland)
• Member of the Board of Executive Council, Government of Dubai 2003
• Member of the Board of Executive Economic Council, Government of Dubai 2003
• Member of the Board of Dubai Chamber of Commerce 28-4-1991
• Member of the Board of Investment Corporation, Government of Dubai 2006
• Member of the Advisory Council of Environmental Institute for Golf